Neuwürschnitz stretches south of Oelsnitz/Erzgeb. uphill in the direction of Erzgebirge. The appearance of the district is characterized by mainly small companies and agriculture. The Neuwürschnitzer Fleisch- und Wurstwaren AG (producer of meat and sausages), which delivers its products to the entire Ore Mountains area as well as the nearby recreational area “Am Haderwald” are both of regional fame.
The name Neuwürschnitz is rather young. It was created in 1934 after the merging of the previously independent villages of Neuwiese and Oberwürschnitz. The area was covered by a vast primeval forest, the Miriquidi, until the 11th respectively 12th century and was not settled before the 12th century, when German settlers came from Franconia, Thuringia and Bavaria after this previously Sorbian region had been conquered completely. The founding of Oberwürschnitz also goes back to those times. The village of Neuwiese was founded rather late around 1700 by the Count and Prince of Schönburg-Waldenburg. Neuwiese provided the workforce for the manor of Oelsnitz, where the villagers of Neuwiese and Oberwürschnitz had to do compulsory labour.
Oberwürschnitz was first mentioned in documents in 1427 and is a single-row rural settlement with farms arranged in a series in the centre. It was founded during the settlement of the Ore Mountains together with the villages of Oberdorf, Mitteldorf and Niederdorf and used to be part of the town of Stollberg then.
In 1495, Heinrich von Schönberg, owner of Oberwürschnitz and Niederwürschnitz, sold it to Friedrich von der Oelsnitz. Up to the end of the 18th century, Oberwürschnitz was merely a farming village. The coal mine owners of the neighbouring hard coal region of Lugau and Oelsnitz recruited workers for their mines here thus hindering the foundation of greater industrial plants.
Interestingly enough, people started searching for gold along the stream Würschnitz in the 16th century.
In the first half of the 18th century, the trade of hosiery knitting began to spread. Already at the end of the 18th century, influential stocking knitters’ guilds were founded in this area. The corresponding guild for Oelsnitz and its surrounding (including Oberwürschnitz and Neuwiese) was established in 1787. In 1835 there were 16 knitting looms in Oberwürschnitz. Another guild, the Weavers’ Guild, founded in Oelsnitz as early as in 1689, also included weavers from Neuwiese und Oberwürschnitz.
In 1999, Neuwürschnitz became a district of the town of Oelsnitz. Since then, many buildings, amongst them the primary school and the club house in Neuwiese, have been completely reconstructed. Moreover, Neuwürschnitz is a popular destination for bikers and hikers.